What is academic writing and why it is important?
Academic writing is a clear and simple, yet formal format of imparting any subjective knowledge. It is critically important for students in every sphere of academics, be it school, college or universities. However, a fair number of students, teachers and parents still don’t have a good grasp of it. Before you learn academic writing, it is important to know its purposes, and the kind of impact it has in shaping your thoughts and reasoning skills. A gradual practice of writing partly contributes to communication skills. With English, being one of the most widely practiced languages across the globe, it’s always a great idea to start off your academic writing in the same language.
Academic writing serves as one of the basic tools of communication for conveying and sharing knowledge, ideas, complexities and overcoming barriers in any specific field of study. Writing is a way of deciphering your thoughts; explaining arguments in simple paragraphs and essays. Learning to decode your thoughts in a structured manner is not just fundamental to obtain good grades in schools and colleges. It is also crucial in building up your analytical reasoning which allows you to organize your arguments in a way that make sense to the readers. This is significant for instilling research skills and framing an objective opinion. It increases your communication competency. Your readers are your audience. The purpose of your writing is to pour down your thoughts before your audience. Few key features of academic writing include:
- Formal and objective: Academic writing must be explicit with less of colloquial language and contractions.
- Precise: Enough specific yet detailed to the context.
- Convincing: This will instill a sense of interest in your readers. You should engage your audience with your piece of writing.
- Hedging: Denotes avoiding strong phrases that can be disproven. For example, using quantifiers like ‘few’, ‘some’ instead of specific numbers.
- Based on real facts and proofs: Lastly, your writing should be based on evidences. It needs a certain level of truth in it.
With the above mentioned individualities on your writing, you can easily establish an effective communication. On the other hand, you fail to interact with your audience when your writing is unclear, and thoughts are poorly organized. Here’s a simple break ups of sections highlighting the importance of Academic writing:
- Improvise reasoning abilities: While you practise academic writing, you improve your reasoning skills. You come across an information, you analyze it with a critical thinking. Consequently, it makes your thoughts powerful.
- Effective communication in both academic and professional life: With a well-structured academic writing, you automatically gain the abilities to speak and interact.
- Developing linguistic and research skills: Gradually you develop strong vocabulary and grammar with a regular habit of academic writing. Prior to writing on any topic, you perform an intensive research on it. During this process, you also educate yourself and sharpen your research skills.
- Learning an overall work ethic: When you come across any specific challenge with a piece of academic writing, you try to learn how to cope up with it. You devote your time and patience and resolve it. In turn, you attain your goal of completing the project in time.
A perfect blending of all these abilities makes you a confident and effortless communicator both socially and professionally. In case you are practicing your academic writing in English, it accelerates your spoken English skills. We offer a whole range of outstanding Academic online English courses that can polish up your academic writing.
You must understand, academic writing is a quite broad term. There are several types and techniques of any academic piece of writing. Based on your audience, you need to follow one of the types, figure out the best way how your intended information can reach up to them. In many writings, you need to use the styles in combination. Let’s have a quick look to some of the broad categories:
Clearly, academic writing is imperative to students, it makes a student a strong thinker. If you’re still waiting to hold a good grasp of it, allow Express English to fetch that for you. Sign up today with ‘Reveal’ academic English course at Express English and achieve that flawlessness in your academic writing. Start your joinery with Express English and develop your academic English speaking and learning potential.